Pregnancy is a phase in woman’s life when she doesn’t want to take any risk. Most women get advised to take plenty of rest as soon as it known that she is expecting. However, it is very important to stay active and practice safe exercises during pregnancy.
Why is it important to exercise during pregnancy?
Unless you have any complication and your gynaecologist advises you best great, exercise is beneficial for a pregnant woman throughout the pregnancy.
- Exercise boosts energy levels and ensures you do not feel that forever tired feeling.
- Proper exercise can actually relieve the backaches and leg aches that most women complain of during pregnancy.
- Exercise can help you get sound sleep at night and keep you well rested.
- Exercise lubricates the joints and keeps you injury-free while you gain weight during pregnancy.
- Exercise ensures you gain weight healthily and provides you that healthy glow which everyone talks about.
- Women who have remained active throughout the pregnancy are known to have easier labour and delivery.
- Exercise also reduces the risk of low birth-weight and pre-term delivery.
- Studies have shown that regular exercise also reduces the risk of post-partum complications like depression as well as pregnancy related gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia.
What are the safe exercises during pregnancy?
That exercise is helpful during pregnancy is a no-brainer, but you must also know which exercises to do and which ones to avoid during this phase. Usually 30 minutes of moderate exercise 5-6 days a week in recommended during pregnancy.
Walking is the simplest and best exercise during pregnancy which can be done by most women.
Swimming is another full body exercise which can be safely done by most healthy, pregnant women.
Light aerobic exercises also provide a good full body workout during pregnancy. However, note not to overdo it.
Yoga involves stretching and strengthening of muscles which makes body more flexible. Everything a women needs for a healthy pregnancy. However, do yoga under the watchful eyes of an expert.
Most women suffer from urine incontinence, i.e. leakage of urine when you sneeze of cough. this may continue even post delivery. It is best to start kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles while you are pregnant. These can be done at any time and in any position.
What exercises to avoid during pregnancy?
Though exercise is good and must be done, you should however refrain from certain exercises especially during the first trimester when risk of losing the baby is highest. You may decide the curse in discussion with your doctor.
- Avoid exercises which require you to lie down flat on the floor.
- Avoid exercise like skipping which require a lot of bouncing up and down.
- Avoid high impact sports like running, horse riding, diving etc.
Never overdo exercise during pregnancy. If you feel you have had enough, stop!
Points to remember when exercising
- Whichever form of exercise you choose, you must check and discuss with your doctor.
- Chalk out a comfortable routine for yourself and do not over-stretch.
- Drink a lot of water while exercising and throughout the day.
- Dress comfortably and loose fitting clothes, yoga pants etc. Also invest in a good sports bra to support your breasts.
- If you are unwell, skip the exercise. Exercise should make you feel happy and buoyant and should not feel like a punishment that you must endure.
Hope that these tips will help you if you an expecting and has answered many of your questions. We would love to hear from you, so do not forget to leave a comment. Also, please share this article in your circle as it keeps us motivated.