Intestinal Worms is a word which evokes disgust and recoil in most people. However, it is also true that most children get intestinal worms during the initial years of their lives. It can be quite unsettling to see your child suffering from worm infection, but one must remember that this is very common and getting rid of worms is also very simple.
What are intestinal worms?
Intestinal worms are worms in your baby’s / child’s intestine.
How does child get infected by worms?
A child may get worm infestation from contaminated food or water.
A child can also get worm infection from other infected children in play areas or creches or school. The eggs and larvae often hide under the finger nails and can pass on easily in case of contact.
Child may also get worms through infected soil, while playing on ground.
Symptoms of Worm infestation in children
Some common symptoms of worm infestation in children can be:
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea or vomiting
- Itching around anus. This is usually more severe at night
How to treat worms/ Deworming children
Doctors recommend deworming children every 6 months or so using oral medicines. These medicines are usually administered in 2 doses. One to be given now and the second dose, one week later.
If you do not want to resort to medicines and would like to try home remedies, here we present 5 home remedies which have been tried and tested and suggested by moms just like us. These home remedies for deworming kids have been shared by moms of our awesome community for moms, SW Mums and Kids
Natural Home Remedies for treating Intestinal Worm Infection in children
#1. Nutmeg or Jaiphal home remedy for stomach/ intestinal worms in kids
Nutmeg or jaiphal is one of the best remedies for stomach/ intestinal worms. This home remedy has been shared by my dear friend and reader, Megha.
She says, “Grind or grate nutmeg on a grinding stone and make a paste using a little water. Since nutmeg is bitter, you may add a little jaggery to nutmeg paste. This can be given to toddlers as well as older children to prevent intestinal worm infestation.”
Give a little of this paste to your child every week to prevent worm infection of intestinal worms.
#2. Asafoetida or Hing to get rid of intestinal worms
Mix a pinch of hing or asafoetida powder in a glass of water and give this to child suffering from intestinal worms, early in the morning for a week. This will help get rid of the intestinal worms.
#3. Carrom seeds/ Ajwain seeds home remedy for stomach/ intestinal worms in kids
Carrom seeds or ajwain are also effective in getting rid of intestinal worms/ stomach worms
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of ajwain seeds and mix with same amount of jaggery. Give this to child twice a day.
- Add 1 tsp ajwain seeds in a half a litre of water and boil for 4-5 minutes. Strain and give this water to your child 5-6 times a day to keep her/ him worm-free.
#4. Raw Papaya home remedy for stomach/ intestinal worms in kids
Raw papaya is very effective in getting rid of intestinal worms in kids
- Extract juice from raw papaya by grinding in a mixer and squeezing juice out of it.
- Take 1 tablespoon of this juice in a glass.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to this.
- Now add 4 tablespoons of warm water and mix well.
- Give this to child in the morning on empty stomach.
- Continue this for a week to get rid of worms.
You can use raw papaya in one more way to keep stomach worms at bay.
- Make a paste of raw papaya with milk and give this to child on empty stomach.
#5. Garlic home remedy for stomach worms in kids
Include garlic in your everyday meals to keep your child worm-free.
#6. Bitter gourd or karela home remedy for stomach worms in kids
Grind bitter gourd to extract juice and mix it with honey and warm water. Give this to child twice a day.
Some people also recommend having bitter gourd seeds powder with a little honey or jaggery.
Precautions to prevent child from getting intestinal worms
- Ensure your child washes hands frequently.
- Get your house cleaned and disinfected every day.
- Ensure that your child’s water is boiled or filtered (RO treated).
- Trim your child’s nails regularly to keep them short and avoid infection.
- Ensure that you wash the ingredients well before cooking.
- Do you have any more home remedies for deworming children? We would love for you to share with all our readers.
Hope these home remedies help your child and your whole family! If you have any more tried and tested home, do share with us through comments or mails.
If you like this article, do share it in your circle. It helps us stay motivated. Do leave a comment to ask a question or let us know your feedback. You can follow us on Facebook, twitter , pinterest and Youtube.