What is Morning Sickness?
Sickness or unease during the first trimester of pregnancy is loosely called morning sickness. It is also sometimes called as vomiting of pregnancy. It may occur at any time of the day and different women experience different symptoms in various degrees.
Many women feel nausea and many suffer from vomiting during the early months of pregnancy. Some pregnant women may not suffer from either nausea or vomiting. Possible cause of morning sickness could be the sudden changes in your body, increase in levels of hormones. Your nose too starts working overtime during early pregnancy and this strong sense of smell means even a little foul odour may cause you to throw up.
Is it normal not to have morning sickness?
A sizable percentage of pregnant women do not experience either nausea or vomiting. Although morning sickness is a normal development of a healthy pregnancy, not having it does not mean there is anything wrong.
What can you do to relieve morning sickness?
Although medication is not recommended for morning sickness, there are many simple steps and remedies you may try to relieve the same:
- Have small meals. Having small frequent meals is the best way to keep stuff down. Do not go without food for a long period of time, nor should you overstuff yourself in one go.
- Take it easy. Try to slow down your pace of doing things. Do not move very fast or suddenly.
- Avoid offenders. Many women realise that they become more sensitive to certain food items. If you feel nauseous after eating certain items, avoid them.
- Have enough water. Vomiting can also cause dehydration. Keep taking small sips of cool water throughout the day.
- Have plenty of rest. Now is not the time to push yourself. Relax and do not worry about sleeping for an extra hour if you feel like it.
- Do not get involved in rigorous activity immediately after eating. Wait for an hour before doing anything rigorous.
- Try home remedies. Many women feel better if they have lemon or ginger or aniseeds. Having citrus flavoured candy also helps some.
What if morning sickness causes you to lose weight?
Many pregnant women have so much sickness that they cannot keep anything down which results in their losing weight instead of gaining. Although alarming amount of weight loss is concerning, but a little bit is alright. Try all the given remedies to help yourself. Eat whatever you can and keep down. Remember morning sickness is usually over by the end of first trimester and you will have plenty of time to gain adequate weight.
One Reply to “Morning Sickness during Pregnancy”