Matar ka Nimona is a unique curry from the state of Uttar Pradesh. I remember my mother making this during winter when the fresh green peas are in abundance. Peas is my favourite vegetable but over time I stopped making peas as a curry, and mostly use as filler vegetable in pulavs and mixed vegetables etc.
This year, I was reminded of this traditional curry and I made matar ka nimona again. It has become a favourite all over again.
Nutritional benefits of green peas
Peas are full of nutrition and are fairly low in calories.
Half cup of peas can give you about 4 grams of protein and are also rich in antioxidants.
Green peas is rich in fibre and aids in digestion.
- 2 cups fresh green peas shelled
- 1 medium potato cut into small pieces
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 2-3 tomatoes chopped fine
- Green chillies as per taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- Whole garam masala ( 2 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1 bayleaf, 1 piece cinnamon)
- 1 tsp haldi powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- Fresh coriander
- Salt to taste
- Make a paste of the shelled green peas coarsely. You can save a few whole peas.
- Make a paste of onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies, coriander leaves.
- Heat mustard oil in a kadhai. You may also use ghee, but traditionally mustard oil is used.
- Fry the potato pieces till they get browned.
- Add cumin seeds and allow to sputter. Now add the whole spices and cook. for a minute.
- Add chillies and onion masala paste and cook till masala is browned.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Add haldi and coriander powder and cook the masala till oil separates.
- Once the masala is cooked, add the peas paste and whole peas and cook.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix.
- Add salt. Cover and cook on low heat.
- After 5 minutes, add fried potatoes and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add garam masala and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve Matar ka Nimona hot with chapatis or rice.
Tips for Matar ka nimona
- Matar ka nimona is best made with fresh peas during winter season. It will not taste the same with frozen peas.
- Do not make a smooth paste of peas while grinding. A little texture is needed in the gravy.
- Matar ka nimona tastes well with chapati, paratha and even puri. You can also serve it with jeera rice.
ShishuWorld TV - Recipes / Home Remedies for babies, Kids Subscribe For New Videos Every Week