Spices are a storehouse of goodness and they are not just there to excite our taste buds. There is a reason why certain spices were used in different recipes and if you look closely, you will realise that it was a way to ensure we have enough of those spices in our daily diet to keep us hale and hearty.
We are doing this series where we will pick some common spices and list out their properties and health benefits and how they can be used in various home remedies. Today’s spices are turmeric and asafoetida, stables in every Indian household.
Turmeric is a staple in every Indian kitchen and it is difficult to think of a curry or dal without this wonderful spice. But is it there only to add that beautiful yellow colour to the curries.
Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory and is useful in a number of ways to treat common health problems at home. That is perhaps why it is used so extensively in all recipes. It can be used fresh as the root, as dried root or the powder spice.
Turmeric home remedies for Small cuts, burns and bruises
- Haldi doodh or turmeric milk is an age-old home remedy for minor injuries and swelling.
- In case of minor burns and bruises, make a paste of turmeric powder and water and apply on the cut or bruise.
Turmeric home remedies for Asthma & Allergic cough
- Boil 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in one glass of milk and drink it at bedtime. This will help in reducing phlegm.
- Make small balls of turmeric, ghee and jaggery and use them to relieve throat pain.
Turmeric home remedies for Makes teeth stronger
- Make a paste of turmeric, salt and mustard oil. Use this paste to massage the gums and teeth to reduce swelling of gums.
- This paste is also good if you have cavities in teeth.
Turmeric home remedies for Arthritis
- The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric and anti-oxidants present in turmeric remove free radicals and relieve the pain in case of arthritis and muscle pain.
Turmeric home remedies for Indigestion
- If you have problem of indigestion, mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric in a bowl of curd and have after food. This will improve digestion.
Turmeric home remedies for Tanning
Turmeric has great anti-tanning properties and is used in many home remedies.
- Make a paste of curd, turmeric and gram flour and use it as scrub. Leave it on skin for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off. Tanning will go away instantly.
- Make a paste of milk and turmeric and apply of skin to improve complexion.
Asafoetida or hing is another staple spice in every Indian home. It is not just useful for enhancing the flavour of dals and khichdi, but is also a wonder drug which can cure many health problems.
Asafoetida home remedies for Stomach ache, bloating
- Mix a pinch of hing and salt and eat followed by a glass of water. It will help with stomach ache.
- For children, mix asafoetida with a little water to make a paste and apply on the belly button. This will help in stomach ache in kids.
Asafoetida home remedies for bloating and flatulence
- Asafoetida oil can help in gastric problem.
- If you have problem of bloating, then mix 1 pinch of asafoetida in a glass of water and drink.
- A pinch of asafoetida in a glass of buttermilk will also help in relieving gas and flatulence.
Asafoetida home remedies for Constipation
- If you have problem of constipation, mix a pinch of asafoetida and baking soda and have it at bedtime. This will help in clearing up bowels at night.
Asafoetida home remedies for Asthma, bronchitis, cough
- Mix a pinch of hing with few drops of ginger juice and honey and have. It will help in relieving cough, asthma and bronchitis by removing the phlegm.
Asafoetida home remedies for Diabetes
- Mix a pinch of asafoetida powder in a tablespoon of bitter gourd juice and have it before meals. It helps in controlling diabetes.
Asafoetida home remedies for Migraines, headaches
- A mixture of asafoetida, dried ginger and ghee or clarified butter can help relieve mild headaches upon applying.
Now you know that those powders in our masala dabbas are actually wonder drugs, which can cure so many health problems.